Wednesday, December 5, 2012

tired of panic attacks

I had a panic attack tonight during what was supposed to be a five minute trip to the grocery store. It was pretty shocking to me, and I don't really know why. There has been so much going on over the past month - the panic attack I had at the movies that I talked about in my last post, Thanksgiving, people visiting, holiday parties to attend, holiday gifts to buy, etc. I know I've been stressing more than usual, so it's not that surprising that this would happen.

Still, it seemed like it came out of nowhere. I left my house feeling absolutely fine. When I walked into the store, I noticed I was beginning to feel kind of weird and unwell, and I thought "well, that sucks, but oh well, I'll only be here about five minutes, no big deal." I only needed to get five things. I got the first item and was on my way to get the second when I started feeling what I interpreted as waves of nausea, although they might have been waves of panic. They were really intense, and after the third or fourth one, I was convinced I had gotten sick and was going to vomit in the store. Sometimes I think about how if this ever actually happened to me, I would have to explain to the people around me, "I know I should have noticed what was happening, but I have this phobia, so I try to ignore sick feelings" and how they wouldn't get it at all. Which is a terrible thought and only makes me more panicked, but whenever I get to that point where I really start to believe what's happening is real and not anxiety, it pops into my head.

Anyway, I immediately walked out of the store, leaving my basket with my one item in it on the floor somewhere along the way. I went back to the car and sat in it, trying to calm down enough to go back inside. I was determined not to leave. I sat there for probably ten to fifteen minutes, thinking things like, "you are going to go back inside. If you don't go back inside, I will be so pissed."

(By the way, word of advice: don't be as hard on yourself as I am. It's definitely not helpful.)

I wasn't feeling much better though, and I couldn't convince myself to get out of the car again. I finally gave up and drove back home. I took my temperature, even though I knew what the outcome would be - as usual, no fever, nothing wrong with me, all in my head. I knew because of how much better I felt as soon as I walked in the house. It restored my confidence, and I then drove back to the store and had the quick uneventful shopping trip I had originally been expecting.

Well, that's not entirely true. When I got in the checkout line, the person in front of me was buying a green pepper, and the cashier couldn't figure out how much it cost. The confusion went on for a while, and I was on edge and wanting to get out of there as soon as possible to avoid anything else bad happening. Not knowing exactly how much longer I was going to have to stand there, I experienced another wave of panic/nausea. But there was no way I could leave the store then without having people notice and question me, because I had already put my items on the belt. So I mustered up every bit of thought-control ability I have and willed myself not to think anything related to being trapped there or possibly being sick or anxiety or how much longer it would be. I stared at magazines and tried to clear my mind as much as possible. I wasn't entirely successful at doing so, but I kept myself calm enough to get through the next few minutes until I could leave.

As awful as it all was, I did feel very proud walking out of the store with my bags of food, almost deliriously victorious. It was like anxiety was an external opponent I had beaten, and I felt like laughing (in its face) or shouting "HA!" or something like that. "I got what I needed, what are you gonna do about it now?"

I'm tired of this though, really tired. It might be time to start doing daily meditation again, at least for a while.         

2 comments:

  1. Wow... we share a lot in common. Well, i guess the thought patterns and perceptions affiliated with emetophobia tend to be somewhat universal. But i totally understand how you feel... those random panic attacks that strike out of the blue and out of nowhere at times... they're really annoying and debilitating. It does indeed help to try and distract oneself to mentally power through it.. but once those stress hormones and adrenaline are already let loose in your bloodstream, it takes several minutes or more to feel normal again. You sound like you're staying pretty rational in your head while these events are happening... so stay strong :)

    ReplyDelete