Sunday, September 11, 2011

hypnosis

I tried hypnosis for the first time yesterday.

I didn't really know what to expect. I was sure it wouldn't be like stage hypnosis or the way they show it in the movies where you relive your childhood and then don't remember anything that happened afterward, but other than that, I was at a loss. I wondered how aware I would be during it and if my state of mind would really be altered. I did some research online the night before and found no help there. There are so many different descriptions of the process and its supposed effects, so I guess it varies from office to office all over the country.

My own experience was very similar to guided meditation, except for an additional segment where the hypnotherapist gave affirmations / suggestions guiding me to feel the way I want to feel.

At the beginning of the session, we had a brief conversation about what I wanted the hypnosis to accomplish, because he said it works better when you have a specific outcome in mind. I think this is mostly about reframing your goal, turning it into something you want to happen (like "I want to exercise more") versus something you don't want to happen ("I don't want to be so lazy").

My goal was a pretty vague one of wanting to feel less anxiety, especially the emetophobic kind. But then I started talking about how all my anxiety issues seem to boil down to a fear of not having control. I want to control my body. I want to control the way I am thought about or perceived by other people. I want to control everything about my life in general - to make sure all my decisions have been and will continue to be the perfect ones, to become so self-aware and evolved that I will be able to know with certainty that I will never make a mistake and possibly go down a "wrong path" that will waste time. So my goal was reframed into "I want to feel more in control," and with that settled, the actual hypnosis began.

He started with a body scan meditation where I was asked to imagine a relaxing color slowly filling my entire body, starting from the toes and moving up. Then he asked me to imagine a remote control with an "Up" button on it that controlled my level of relaxation, so that each time I pushed the button, I would feel more relaxed. In the final relaxation exercise, he said he was going to count down and asked me to visualize each number as he said it and then imagine the number fading away. When he reached zero, that was the point of complete relaxation.

I never reached a state of complete relaxation, since I find it hard to ever be completely relaxed, especially outside my home. But I was more relaxed than I had imagined I would be at the beginning. I have been listening to guided meditation CDs regularly for a while now, and through practice, I've gotten to the point where it's easy for me to lose myself in them. I almost felt like I was at home, just listening to a recording.

After those three exercises, the hypnosis script began. He told me before he started that I should try to tune out what he was saying, if possible. I'm guessing this is because the suggestions are meant for your subconscious. Guided meditation CDs and meditation exercises in general tell you to focus on the words of the speaker, or focus on your breathing, an affirmation, or a mantra, to try to clear your mind of all other thoughts and distractions. This is something I find extremely difficult to do. Having to tune out words, on the other hand, was not a problem. I caught parts of what he was saying, enough to piece together the general message he was giving me, but I didn't hear all of it. I was reciting lyrics and poems to myself or letting my thoughts wander to certain memories that easily hold my attention.

He said that I was in control and that I would feel more in control from that point on. He also talked about bodily sensations, how they were mostly harmless, and how they should be viewed as a message from my body (for example, the feeling of hunger being a message to eat something). That's all I remember.

I haven't noticed a significant decrease in my anxiety, but it has only been a day. I'll write about it again in a week or so and give an update. In any case, I just wanted to share the experience and say that if nothing else, hypnosis is relaxing in the moment and doesn't lead to vulnerability, lack of awareness, or embarrassing / uncontrollable behavior. It's worth a try, if you're thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment