Saturday, February 22, 2014

account of living with emetophobia

I came across this post on tumblr the other day describing what it's like to have emetophobia. It's a really good explanation of the various associated behaviors. My favorite part (so true, and the reason why I think emetophobia is in a league of its own when it comes to phobias in general):

"I’m scared of spiders, but my fear of spiders doesn’t spawn new spiders to come after me. However with emetophobia, my fear of vomiting creates a very real sick feeling."

This is why I wish there was more psychological research being done on emetophobia specifically (and similar anxiety issues, like general health anxiety), because this kind of physiological feedback loop adds another dimension that people who are afraid of heights or dogs or clowns are not experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment