Monday, March 2, 2015

CYEAT: Chapter 8

This chapter looks at unhelpful thinking styles. I already knew most of them and have talked about some of them in other posts, but it is very useful information and I figure it’s always good to review and keep them fresh in my mind:

- Negative thinking (aka chronic pessimism)
- Obsessive thinking (you can’t stop brooding about things)
- Paranoid thinking (you think everything is about you - ties into social anxiety)
- Black and white thinking (extremist, not considering there could be a middle ground because you hate uncertainty and want things to be clear-cut)
- Catastrophic thinking (blowing up minor things into huge issues)
- Perfectionism (setting too high standards, being too hard on yourself)
- Hypervigilance (over-arousal, being too focused on what you consider to be dangerous signs in your body or surroundings)

Catastrophic thinking is one I know I’ve talked about before. The author claims all of these unhelpful thinking styles are common for people with emetophobia, and I would agree I have had trouble with all of them, but in my opinion catastrophizing is the one that seems to fit emetophobia most. It is usually the same thing we are blowing out of proportion every time - some harmless feeling in our bodies that we automatically think means we could be sick.

For me, that catastrophizing can then lead to all the other types: obsessing over the feeling and the worry that I am sick, being hypervigilant for signs of any changes to the feeling, being paranoid that if I did get sick everyone would notice and hate me, pushing myself to fight through the anxiety while maintaining my usual stoic appearance (perfectionism), and then, once the anxiety passes, thinking about how I can’t stand anxiety attacks and how much my life sucks because of anxiety (negative, black and white thinking).

The chapter includes tips on how to change these thinking styles, such as distracting yourself with some fun activity when you are obsessing, minimizing negative thoughts you have and focusing on what you can be grateful for instead, taking time to relax every day, and in general challenging your thinking Notice your negative thoughts, question whether they are true, revise them if they sound extreme (“That was the worst day ever. I will never be happy again” becomes “That was an unpleasant day, but I have no way of knowing what tomorrow will be like or how my feelings might change”).

It also discusses how we can gain things we feel we need from these unhelpful thinking styles. For example, if we continue to expect the worst, we know we won’t be disappointed or rejected, which is comforting in its own way. So I’m sure it’d be a good idea to think about why I might want or need to cling to certain bad thinking habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment