Thursday, September 1, 2011

mindfulness

It turns out the teacher for the class I'm taking is currently out of the country and unable to get a flight back because of the nasty hurricane weather that's been traveling up the coast. She didn't show up for our first class, and I got an email letting me know that the second class is canceled too. So much for my goals for the week!

But on some level, I'm grateful it turned out this way. I felt like this class was a huge step for me, and this turned it into a smaller baby step. I did not technically attend a class, but I sat in a room with about twenty other students I didn't know for the twenty minutes before we all decided to give up on the teacher and leave. That alone was a frightening situation for me, and I "felt sick" for probably the first fifteen of those twenty minutes.

I said my four-part affirmation to myself, and it did help somewhat. But in a sense it felt like the anxiety was flooding my brain and making it hard to even focus on the words, so I switched over to a mindfulness / breathing exercise from another book I read recently, The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh. I took deep breaths, and each time I inhaled, I would say to myself "I am breathing in" and each time I exhaled, I would say to myself "I am breathing out." Or "I am breathing in a long breath" and "I am breathing out a long breath."

I guess because the words are combined with the concentrated act of controlling my breathing, they work in a way the affirmations don't, where I'm able to replace the "flood of anxiety" feeling in my head with just the breaths and the descriptions that go with them. At this point, it's hard to sustain, because I haven't been practicing mindfulness for very long. But having seen the way affirmations became more and more helpful the longer I worked with them, I'm optimistic that mindfulness techniques will end up being incredibly useful also.

Mindfulness teaches you to be only in the present moment, not in the future or the past. This may seem like a stupid idea to an emetophobic who is feeling nauseous - why would you want to remain in that present moment rather than thinking of something else?

-Because the more you practice being in the present moment, the more relaxed you will be, in general, overall. It's easy to handle what is happening right now in the present moment, not so easy to handle the vast expanse of possibilities in the future.

-Because when you are in a situation that causes a lot of anxiety, you may think that you won't be able to remain in that situation for the length of time you need to, but you can be pretty sure that you can get through the next minute or five minutes, at least. Kind of like AA's "one day at a time." Staying in the present moment in this way, you can get through whatever scary situation you are facing. And then, having survived it once, you'll know you can do so again.

-Because as an emetophobic, when you're leaving the present moment, it's usually not to go to some happy place in your mind where you don't feel sick. You're leaving the present moment to go into a fake or feared future ("I must be getting sick" "what if I am getting sick, and what if this causes me to throw up?"), and this is obviously not helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment