Monday, January 19, 2015

CYEAT: Chapter 1

Ah, belief systems! The first chapter explores how your beliefs about the world influence the way you perceive the world, and how your perceptions then reinforce those beliefs.

For example, if you believe knocking on wood will bring you good luck, you're going to notice every single time you knock on wood and then something good happens. This will reinforce your belief. You're less likely to notice/remember the times you knock on wood and something bad happens.

Or (for a more negative emetophobia-related example) if you assume you're going to feel "sick" any time you go out somewhere, you will tend to notice the times you go out and don't feel well while overlooking the times you go out and feel fine. This is definitely one of my beliefs. I will complain to my wife that this always happens, that I can't ever go anywhere without feeling "sick" from anxiety, and she will remind me this isn't true and point out specific examples. She can see the whole picture, whereas I only see the bad because I'm invested in my belief - probably because 1) I get extremely frustrated and want to be able to express it in an extreme way ("this always happens" instead of "I hate that this ever happens") and 2) knowing there is potential to experience anxiety makes me want to stay home and if I can believe going out will always result in a struggle, it's that much easier to talk myself out of doing things.

Today was one of those good days that defies this belief. I went to see the new movie Into the Woods, which is pretty long (about 2 hours), and I didn't feel "sick" once.

At the end of the chapter there were a couple exercises about identifying what beliefs you have that may be limiting you (nothing about how to change them yet) and also a quiz, which excited me because I love taking quizzes. But at the end of the quiz there was no scoring or commentary. The author just said to set it aside and the book would come back to it later. Intriguing.

Nothing ground-breaking yet. I already know I have many flawed and harmful beliefs. But of course, it never hurts to remind yourself of these things. Even knowing I have these beliefs, I still don't always realize when I am reinforcing them and behaving as if they are true.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lil, the book sounds interesting! Looking forward to your next article :) also, all the best in 2015 and less and less anxiety with this phobia! I should have had a dental impressions done in the beginning of this year and i totally freaked out :( i remember myself being around eight years old and while having dental impressions taken i constantly gagged for the whole time... Horrible...so I avoided this by having digital impressions and I am not particularly proud of myself.... Although I slowly started with desensitization process with my toothbrush putting evrery time a bit further in the mouth while still having control. How do you deal with dental procedures? PS: I do have fitbit and my goal is 10,000 steps a day but in the winter I dont each the goal in majority of days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella, happy new year and thank you! I hope you start feeling less anxious too. I'm sorry to hear about your dental anxiety. I don't think I have ever had impressions done. I did get fluoride treatments when I was little but I don't know how similar that is - they put two trays of gel in your mouth and you have to sit there for several minutes, but the gel was flavored and I never minded it that much.

      Your desensitization with the toothbrush is a good idea and I'm glad it hasn't caused any issues. Maybe you are able to tolerate this better now that you're older. Also, maybe you can talk to your dentist about it and they will have some ideas to counteract the gag reflex. I am searching online and finding some websites talking about this:

      http://www.dentaleconomics.com/articles/print/volume-103/issue-10/practice/control-patient-gagging.html

      http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/gagging/

      I haven't had any dental work done in a while other than routine cleanings. The last extra procedure I had done was getting cavity fillings, and it did cause a lot of anxiety for me. My personal suggestion would be to keep breathing as calmly as possible through your nose, tell yourself calming positive statements, and try to visualize your mouth as being disconnected from the rest of your body.

      I know what you mean about winter. That always used to be a deterrent for me too, but I just started walking inside. I don't have a treadmill, but I just walk in loops around the apartment until I reach my goal. If I had to go outside, I know I would never reach it. I can't stand the cold!

      Take care!

      Delete