Tuesday, February 3, 2015

CYEAT: Chapter 3

Definitely the most interesting chapter so far. It talks about locus of control, how you can have an internal locus of control or an external locus of control.

People with an internal locus of control basically believe they have more control over their lives, the ability to influence events, a positive attitude. They think they have the skills to handle whatever comes. In the face of circumstances that can't be controlled (such as a loved one dying), they believe they are able to deal with the challenge or trauma and are more resilient as a result.

People with an external locus of control are the opposite. They are more negative and believe that what happens in their life depends on external factors (fate, luck, gods, or other "powerful"/authority figures controlling what happens to them) instead of what they themselves do. They tend to be more submissive and helpless. When something beyond their control happens, they don't believe they can handle it.

The author claims all people with emetophobia have an external locus of control. We also have a high desire for control, and when you combine the two, you end up with a ton of anxiety (because you are always feeling powerless and ill-equipped to deal with anything) and constant attempts to control everything you can, even the most insignificant things.

Which of course describes me perfectly. The quiz earlier in the book was to determine if you had an internal or external locus of control, and when I went back and reviewed my answers, I scored a 20 which apparently is an extreme external locus of control.

The main way I try to stay in control is by avoiding anything that I think might put me at risk - going on long trips or public transportation, taking medication, drinking alcohol, eating foods that seem risky, etc. - but there are other more active controlling behaviors too that I don't think about as much. I wash my hands excessively. I ask people questions constantly - ask them to reassure me about things I'm worried about, confirm I'm remembering facts correctly, make my decisions for me (from the insignificant to the huge and life-changing). I have certain numbers I feel are lucky or unlucky. I frequently use the website random.org to make my decisions for me.

In fact, this reminds me of a conversation I had the other day where I was saying that I would rather use a computer to generate an answer than flip a coin. Flipping a coin doesn't feel random enough to me, because I am holding/tossing the coin and thus it feels like I could somehow influence the outcome. And I want NO responsibility for the outcome, because I feel like I would make the wrong decision, whether consciously or subconsciously. (Of course I am still pushing the button to generate the computer's answer, and if I pushed the button a second earlier or later, I would get a different answer. Thinking about this drives me crazy.)

One of the exercises in the chapter was to go back to your quiz answers and identify your external beliefs, then choose 5 that seem the easiest to change, and work on changing them. For example, one of mine is that the number 23 is unlucky, and I could work on telling myself that's not true and making sure I don't avoid that number.

But as much as I agree with this concept and the idea of changing external beliefs and working on thinking in a more 'internal locus of control' way, I felt like some of the "external beliefs" from the quiz shouldn't be changed. So I was a little conflicted at this section. For example, one of the external beliefs was "I believe that you cannot make someone fall in love with you - if it is right it will happen." Do I really want to change that belief? What's the alternative - believing that you can convince people to fall in love with you? I suppose that may be true to an extent, but besides it being weird and manipulative, I don't see the point.

Still, in general it's good advice. Try to think of ways you tell yourself you don't or can't control something. Figure out what factors you think are controlling your life ("this day is ruined because of the rain" or "I can't change because my parents made me this way") and reframe your thoughts to put yourself in control again.

No comments:

Post a Comment