Monday, January 23, 2012

the comfort zone

Things have been going extremely well for me. I've been eating almost every meal without feeling really sick and/or anxious. I think I'm finally back to the point where my anxiety is pretty much non-existent as long as I am just hanging out at home. It's only an issue if I go out anywhere or if someone comes to visit us. That doesn't sound like much to celebrate, I guess, but I'm loving it. Pretty much all of last year (and some of 2010), for the first time in my life, I felt like there was nowhere that was safe. It was horrible, and I'm so happy to have a "refuge" again and to be feeling more in control of my anxiety.

On the other hand, I don't want to spend all my time at home, which is what I've been doing. Clearly it's time to get out more and see what happens, see if I can manage to feel anxiety-free other places. I think I am going to start trying restaurants again. Sometimes my experiences with them are fine, sometimes they are awful. I'm hoping with practice that the awful times lessen.

Unfortunately, there is some possible unidentified problem with my car right now, so I am sort of stranded until it gets checked out and fixed (or given a clean bill of health). Hopefully it gets resolved this week. Until then, I can't deny that I'm thoroughly enjoying my comfort zone. Right now I'm making my way through the Hunger Games trilogy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. I'm only just beginning to feel slightly more comfortable at home and am also considering venturing out to a restaurant soon. I think I'll start with a cafe and order something like toast before going out for a proper meal in a proper restaurant. Maybe that's something you could do, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's a really good idea - thanks! And I'm glad to hear you're feeling more comfortable at home too.

    ReplyDelete