Thursday, January 26, 2012

internal weather

At times, this phobia has made me feel hopeless. Only when it is at its worst, thankfully - those periods where I am feeling sick and anxious all day every day. It doesn't take much of that before I feel like I am living in a state of despair and that there may not be anything that exists outside of that state. Then feeling and thinking that way starts to scare me in itself. I spent a lot of time online during these moods, searching for anything that could make me feel a tiny bit more hopeful. I came across this letter one day, which had a huge impact on me, and now I always think of it when I'm having a hard time.

I just love the metaphor of the weather and the idea that the best course of action is to wait it out rather than fighting it. You don't stop living your life when it's raining, but you also don't run out and yell at the rain to stop or try to come up with some crazy involved plan to control it. You don't ever say to yourself, "well, that's it. I'll never see the sun again."

In my mind, I was absolutely convinced that my personal "sun" was gone forever, but it came back, because it will always come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment