Monday, May 28, 2012

defeating the health anxiety (again)

Last week I noticed a dull pain/ache in my stomach/abdomen area. My first response to something like that is always to try to ignore it. But it persisted for a couple days, and then I started getting really worried about it. I broke all my rules. I did an online search for my symptoms (not at first - I think I held out for at least two or three days, which admittedly is kind of pitiful). I found websites that made me think it was cancer. One of the websites even had a note advising that it was much more likely it was another smaller problem and that only 5% of cases would be cancer, but of course I kept thinking "I could be part of that 5%!"

I then spent a few more days thinking about all this information and my possible impending death, which made me into a semi-mess crying frequently over minor things. I kept mentioning the pain to my wife, and she kept making efforts to downplay it (since I was making no effort to do so myself), but I kept arguing with her about it.

I've read many articles about people who developed some serious health problem. I don't know why. I don't seek them out, but they seem to be everywhere, trying to scare people into taking better care of themselves or going to the doctor more often. I think the only effect they actually have is making anxious people more anxious. It's like those commercials for aspirin where there is a guy saying something like "I'm in great physical shape and run marathons all the time. Imagine my surprise when I had a heart attack completely out of the blue." You could be next! Buy aspirin!

Anyway, in a lot of these articles they will have a quote from the sick person talking about how they were fortunate enough to catch the problem early because they just "felt like something was wrong" and went to the doctor. No specific symptoms. They make it sound like it is just a vague sensation of something feeling different in your body. I think I even saw one article that said the sick person had dreamed about something being wrong with part of their body, which influenced them to go to the doctor, where they discovered it was true!

Do things like this actually happen, or is it just people being dramatic or trying to look like they have a special sense for detecting illness? I don't know. But, me being who I am, I got the idea in my head that it was of the utmost importance that I notice any changes in my body and take them seriously. SUPER seriously.

Well, that was a mistake. Maybe it is good advice, if you don't have anxiety. But it doesn't work for someone like me, because I am almost constantly noticing things about my body that seem "off" in some way or that I can't recall ever feeling before.

So basically, whether the advice is good or not, I need to let it go. I'm not going to be one of those "special-sense" people (if they even exist) - it's definitely not in the cards for me. All I'm going to end up doing is freaking myself out over and over and over again.

I finally managed to get past the autopilot anxiety and convince myself that worrying about the pain was in no way helpful. Worrying wasn't going to make me go to the doctor. If the pain was still there after a few weeks, I would, but not before then. I would only be making myself miserable until that point.

("I'm learning to let go of worrying. I can replace worrying with constructive action.")

So I forced myself to stop dwelling on it and distracted myself as much as possible. And a day or so after that, no more pain. Which means that not only was it not the 5% cancer, it wasn't even the 95% more benign problem. 100% nothing. Probably indigestion of some sort, made worse by my constant stress and attention to it.

It still shocks me that with all I know, I can go so wrong. Catastrophizing is a bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment