Tuesday, May 15, 2012

tricks

I have been doing so well lately. I've been going out to restaurants and eating with little anxiety. I've been going other places without experiencing much anxiety. I've been eating at home even when I don't feel well, forcing myself to stick to a normal eating schedule.

I even decided to terminate therapy, because I feel like I have gotten to the point where I can handle situations on my own. Since then, I've had a few "oh god what have I done" moments of panic, but I just remind myself that I can go back if I ever need to, which brings me back to the realization that I'm doing okay without it. In fact, I think I could have stopped going a while ago, but I guess I had this fear that if I didn't show up on a regular basis and announce that I hadn't had a breakdown that month, I would jinx myself, and it would happen again. Like a fear that I was being too confident and would possibly miss signs that a professional wouldn't.

So far, so good.

I should be pushing myself more than I am, but I'm still happy with the way things are at the moment. I'm trying not to stress about any of it. In a rural area, there aren't exactly tons of ways to push yourself out of the house. I'm planning on going to a movie and lunch this weekend.

Life may not be super exciting, but I did start having an exciting new thought. I'm going to put it in the category of "positive mind tricks." By the time I hit middle school, I had come up with a bunch of thoughts I used to argue myself out of anxiety in public. They were really helpful, but I started thinking in the past couple years that maybe they weren't healthy. I don't care as much right now, because right now I'm more in the mentality of "living my life" than "step-by-step recovering." So I'm still using them. The main ones I have relied on are:

-- If I was home right now, would I still be feeling this way? When I was younger, I pretty much only felt "sick" if I was out in public, so most of the time, this question was all I needed.

-- If I was home right now, would feeling this way be bothering me as much? Kind of the same thing. It helped clue me in to what I was feeling specifically. If it was hunger, envisioning myself at home with the feeling would help me realize it was hunger.

-- Does the thought of leaving right now, immediately, make me feel any better? Why yes, it does. Look at that. Anxiety. Sometimes I would even test this by going outside or to the bathroom for a few minutes, and I would instantly feel much better, giving me the courage to go back.

-- Is anything else making me feel better? Sometimes I would notice that I was feeling "sick" and then something really funny or really scary would happen, shocking me out of it temporarily. Once the shock subsided, the "sick" feeling would come back, but the proof of being able to briefly feel better was still there.

-- How fast did this feeling come on? Usually leading me to the realization that ten, fifteen minutes ago, there hadn't been the slightest sign of anything being wrong. Actual sickness comes on more gradually.

There are probably more I'm not thinking of, but you get the idea.

I don't know where this new one came from. It just popped into my head maybe a couple months ago when I was sitting at home feeling "sick" and starting to get really anxious about it:

You would be damn lucky to only feel this bad right before vomiting.

I love it. I love how it's not a question. I love how it works at home. I love how it has gratitude built into it, something I'm trying to express more of. Though I've only thought about it during moments of anxiety and feeling mildly unwell, I have this idealistic hope that it would be comforting even if I was sick, even if I was about to throw up. Because nausea, even at its peak, is never going to be unbearable pain. At least that's what I gather from non-emetophobics. Unbearable pain by definition is a level of pain that would make you lose consciousness, but people don't lose consciousness because of nausea, even severe nausea.

Again, I know it's idealistic, and my new trick probably wouldn't hold up in the face of actual nausea and illness, but it is helping me quash a lot of budding anxiety attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment