Tuesday, October 11, 2011

projection

Another thing I wanted to talk about from that book (No Boundary: Eastern and Western Approaches to Personal Growth by Ken Wilber).

Part of the book talked about the psychological concept of projection and how everything we feel is just a projection of a deeper subconscious feeling. Like if we feel obligated to do something, it's because we actually want to do it - otherwise, we wouldn't care at all and would feel no obligation. For anxiety, the deeper subconscious feeling is excitement. I started thinking this over and wondering if some part of me could feel excited about vomiting. Which is impossible to imagine. But if I substitute "fear of losing control" for "fear of vomiting" I can easily imagine having a subconscious feeling of excitement about losing control. I even consciously fantasize sometimes about being a different person, one that isn't reserved and uptight all the time. Of course, that's assuming "fear of losing control" has anything to do with this phobia. I feel that it does, but I don't know for sure what the main underlying "cause" is.

But the concept also seems to fit with the social anxiety I have. If someone doesn't care at all about social interaction, about being around other people, then chances are they won't have social anxiety (or they'll have it, but it will have no effect on their life). It's only going to bother someone who deep down is excited about being around people, talking to people, having other people look at them, etc. And thinking about it that way makes me feel more willing to face the anxiety. For example, at some point during the class I'm taking, I'm supposed to give a presentation, and I've been thinking about it and dreading it ever since I heard about it. But put the nice projection spin on it, and I know that deep down, I'm actually dying to give that presentation. So why try to think up ways to get out of it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment